Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Sunday, May 02, 2004

The fear of pro-war men...


Just south of Virginia Beach is the home of Camp Pendelton Military Reserve and then continuing south, all up and down North Carolina there are several military bases so I was prepared for a not-so-warm welcome. Plus I thought my sister might find some support back when I thought support might be necessary.
I was happy with the lukewarm response in the military towns from the bush supporters, relieved we didn’t run into any violent right wingers, but I was ecstatic with the enthusiastic joy the peace proponents greeted me. I joined their lines on the street whenever we found them!
People throughout North and even South Carolina often turned their vehicles around, tracked me down inside bookstores, coffee shops, gas stations to seek me out and tell me how much hope my truck brought them.
In South Carolina, a womon actually dragged me off to her weekly womxxn’s peace group meeting. It was such a joy to meet these womxxn who, not just because they existed in the middle of military country but also because several were mothers with sons who either were presently in the military or were about to be or were at some point. The pain and regret these mothers shared was so deeply overwhelming I wondered if my sister was thinking of her oldest grandchild.
These womxxn also spoke of their struggles obtaining permits to do peace marches regardless of our constitution still operating in the south. They had one in February of 2003 prior to the official start of the bombing against Iraq that they thought was a very successful demonstration. But then recently when they attempted to get a permit for another march, they were denied the permit.
Not blatantly denied, but patronizingly denied as the officials wouldn’t grant them one on the grounds that they couldn’t provide protection for that many people. They used macho scare tactics to claim these womxxn would be endangering the lives of participants as the police couldn’t guarantee their protection. And they believed the police, their fear of violent pro-war men so huge, and their belief that it was their responsibility to provide security.
Macho fear tactics at work big time. I urge them not to be daunted and I’ve promised them I’ll come back through before the election and march with them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home