Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Saturday, October 30, 2004

do u believe in freedom of speech?

White republican males are a funny breed of thinkers for true. How many times have I been aggressively approached by the same who have pointed wildly to my truck & told me how lucky I am to live in a country that allows me to do that. Then they proceed to angrily order me out of the country, call me names, and tell me I do not deserve to live in this great land.
Do they ever think for one moment about what they are saying? I'm supposed to be so very grateful I'm 'allowed' to say what I believe on my truck that I do not say it, unless what I have to say supports their world view.
But the best example of this thinking happened today when I was on the street urging no stolen elections. An older model dull red truck with 2 young white males sitting in it, pulled over to the curb where I was standing, rolled down their window letting our a blast of welcomed icy air, and said they wanted to ask me a question. I welcome questions, I beg for questions, I treasure & value questions - for I have an opinion about everything.
The question the young man, sporting a short, new beard, demanded I answer is "do you believe in freedom of speech?"
"Yes, of course I believe in freedom of speech" I smile as I'm holding the megaphone.
"Well SHUT-UP then" he screams as he roars off.
well, shut-up then. hmmmmm


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home