Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Saturday, January 22, 2005

roe v wade & progressive demo's summit

of course it snowed again like crazy today! codepink had a morning breakfast to kick off the day - medea & jody spoke, as did kim gandy from NOW. mid day, snow came down - a blizzard - we thought maybe the roe v wade demo was going to be cancelled but it stopped snowing in time for us to join NOW & naral and plannned parenthood to march in front of the supreme court. i'd say 150 wimmin showed up and probably 50 anti-choice folks. we appreciated the anti-choice folks strategy - most had red duct tape across their mouths - the ones that didn't have duct tape tried disrupting but were ignored &/or silenced by the pro-choice crowd's enthusiasm.
a woman marched behind me with an 'abortion is murder' sign. i told her, "yeah, wimmin are murderers. we hate fetuses so we murder them. we're just murderers."
this seemed to give her pause, so i continued: "you know women, you are a womon - we are so ignorant & selfish humans. we find out we're pregnant. we say, oh what the hell, i'll just march down to the dr's & get an abortion".
she said is a small voice, 'well, you shouldn't have gotten pregnant in the first place.'
which gave me a chance to look at her directly in the eyes & tell her "yes, that's what this is really about: punishing women for having the audacity to have sex with a man & NOT for the purpose of getting pregnant."
she said women are at the mercy of male domination - and abortion is a tool of male domination. right.
i faced her again and told her "women need to have the right to chose. neither you nor any man can tell me what i can and cannot do with my own body. you can advise me all you want. in the end, i get to chose. you can be against abortion - knock yourself out. i don't care. maybe i wouldn't have an abortion myself either, but it is my choice."
she actually thanked me for talking with her. i wished we had more time to speak - but the rally began. young inspiring wimmin spoke energetically, eloquently, and with much determination to save choice for all wimmin!
even tho it was on the heels of a blizzard, about minus 15 below zero, a train ride & a few block walk away, we were all happy we were able to participate!



1 Comments:

  • At 6/5/06 1:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home