Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Monday, July 30, 2007

Megan & David sit-in!!! in Dubuque

I continue on to Dubuque, which seems even smaller than Davenport, and much older – although maybe Harkin’s office here is just in an older part of town. Dubuque seems to be typical of those old towns that have sprung up along side the winding river.

I stand under huge shady trees next to the Federal Building that appears to be burned out and deserted on entire floors. It is a beautiful old building with windows boarded up and bunches of men, mostly white and burnt orange, cutting down huge trees. The men stare and finally grin & wave!

Another womon passing by stops and holds up an end of the banner. She cannot stay but signs up for CodePINK. Two awesome young white students have driven over an hour to come today. They are prepared to get arrested should Harkin refuse to make a meeting with us. Two other peace activists join us.

We are warmly welcomed again into the office. We sit with staff and are given the prepared statement. We ask staff to explain again how come the Senator took this vote.

Everyone clearly states her or his opposition to Harkin’s reasoning. Nothing new has been added since this morning, except maybe how difficult it is for Harkin to make this decision.

We state we didn’t elect him cause we know the job was easy. We empathize and yet hold him to vote NO MORE FUNDING.

Staff is willing to try to contact the scheduler in D.C. to make the appointment. The young students intend to return before the day is out for the appointment date.

I am leaving for Cedar Rapids so I cannot stay. The weekly peace vigil is happening at 5:00 so Megan and David will get lots of support if they decided to do cd, should Harkin’s scheduler not be able to make the appointment.

Stay tuned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home