Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The (Non) Violence of Shoe Souls

Some main stream media types are saying the holding up and hurling of shoes might not be a non-violent action.

My understanding of showing the soles of your shoes to someone is symbolic of extreme disrespect. The genocide we are perpetrating on Iraq STILL after 8 years demands our deep disrespect at the very least.

In my chosen culture, ‘disrespect’ of someone is morally compulsory when that person is acting in a way I cannot respect.

We are trained to be so polite, at all costs, in our society; especially as women we are to act with “respect” toward male authority, as poor people to “respect” rich authority, as children to “respect” adult authority, as civilians to “respect” military authority, and so on and so on.

I personally believe respect – and disrespect – to be accorded is that which is earned by actions not by social standing.

I personally highly treasure the act of showing one’s soul through the soles of shoes! (much better than mooning).

I saw a bumper sticker once that said the purpose of religion is to ensure the poor do not rise up and murder the rich.

I am so deeply despairingly sick of the continued torture, murder, rape, occupation – in our name and for the sake of our lifestyle – and our mammoth overriding concern with our comfort level and lifestyles, as the irrupting blood and screams of Iraqis (and U.S. soldiers) continue.

Let us bare our souls/soles at the very least – those of us who feel comfortable doing such – for I see the baring and hurling of soles as extreme acts of defiance, which some folks are called to this day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home