Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Nite 4: Tucson and Mujasi!

Jasi & I leave Kat's house after everyone else goes to Trader Joes. The sky is ebony black and the temperature has dropped 40 degrees.

We pull into the main drag and park the truck outside the food coop where we're going to stock up on our special, organic food.

When we get out the truck, the street lights almost boom in the black nite. Before we slam the door, a white male runs up to us, exclaiming his love for the truck and wanting to know what we were all about.

Mujasi leans back against the light pole, lifts a foot to his knee in his flamingo stance and proceeds to explain the whole trip, much to my astonishment.

"We're the Black Womyn's Lives Matter:FREE MARISSA Caravan" he proudly declares. "Do you know who Marissa is?"

The man shakes his head no and Jasi continues: "Marissa Alexander is a Black womon and mother who fired a warning shot into the ceiling - injuring no one (here he lifts his chin, fiercely defiant) to make her husband stop beating her and threatening to kill her.

She had a 9 day old baby at the time and the police came & arrested her. She was sentenced to jail for 20 years. We're going to Jacksonville Florida to FREE MARISSA NOW!"

The man expresses his outrage and support of our caravan. Then he proceeds to want to come with us. Jasi holds up 1 finger declaring this caravan is for womyn and one kid.

I am almost speechless. The man still expresses his support but tries to give me his number in case we change our mind. Jasi informs him he can donate to the caravan or to Marissa if he wants.

Of course, the man is broke and has nothing to contribute.

I'm so proud of my grandchild!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home