Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Friday, May 04, 2018

Three young white high school guys...

My reading at the Tippecanoe Library did not bring out the throngs of progressive whites from Lafayette but it did bring out several interesting folks: an older strate white couple, the man of which was a conscious objector during World War II!!!! Plus one of the womyn I met yesterday at the Diversity Round Table monthly meeting, a young and very preggers womon of color who is directing the shelter for battered womyn of Lafayette. Another strate white couple who have also been long-time activists with many decades of bold actions to their legacy along with several other younger white womyn also committed to changing our country and communities.

Then three young white male teenage high school students showed up 5 minutes before we were to start. They wanted to know exactly what my presentation was going to be and instead of answering them directly (much to one of the womyn's chagrin) I invited them to sit down and join our circle.

They said that their high school history teacher suggested they might want to check out the reading but they only had 5 minutes. They all checked their cell phones almost in unison. I urged them to come sit for their five minutes then.

They agreed but indicated one of their mother's was going to come pick them up in five minutes.

I skipped one of the exercises I usually ask folks to do toward the beginning of my presentation in the hopes that I could cover as much ground as possible given these few minutes they were granting me.

These young fellows were sitting forward, on the edge of their folding chairs, listening intently, participating uncertainly, but they did not make a move to stand and leave. In fact, they stayed for the entire reading/workshop and came up to talk with me afterwards.

They were mesmerized - and stunned at their inadequate (at best) education. I donated a book to their school and history class but one of the young men told me he had $10 and would like to buy a copy of the book for himself.

To end the presentation, I asked everyone to think of one action they would like to commit themselves to accomplishing in the very near future. But I forgot (and have been forgetting) to tell folks about the list serve I created so people can stay in touch and get support and encouragement.







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home