Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Saturday, May 06, 2023

Nigeria, Guatemala, and unaccompanied minors

Border Patrol has not shown up, even though it's been light since 5a.m. and people have been waiting since last night.

As we wait, two more people walk around the wall, down the other side of the canal to the bridge over the water, and then return on this side of the canal to where we wait

It is a womon with maybe a 7month bulge and her husband. I greet them in Spanish and english and the couple smiles wider than the old Colorado River, proclaiming they were coming from Nigeria, have been traveling for over 5 months, have worked their way from Ecuador and Colombia through the Darien Gap to Panama. Both their eyes widen as they talk about how hard it was to traverse through jungle and mountain and dangerous waters. Both look very road weary but relieved to be here, hungry and tired and thirsty.

Just after they arrive, I see four more short, very young brown people working their way around the wall, down the road, over the bridge and back down the road. They are kids, teenagers, unaccompanied minors who speak very little Spanish - at least they don't seem to understand my Spanish. They are from Guatemala and when I ask where their parents are, they say they are in Florida. One of the boys is 15, the girls are 16, and the other boy is 17. I don't think one stands taller than 4'11" at the most.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home