Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Saturday, September 18, 2004

Our "what's christian about bush" - finally almost home!!!

       We were in Yuma this a.m. at the crack of dawn - hardly anyone was up and about, this early Saturday morning, altho there was an older white womon, probably in her 70's, very tan, very fit, lots of gold adorning her body in a short white tennis outfit, driving a late model american sedan - someone who might be for bush. She calls me over to her car  and tells me I am totally right about everything! I don’t ask her to repeat herself but do I love to hear those words! She says we HAVE to get rid of bush. I ask her how long she's lived in Yuma. She looks at me funny  and says, “Why all my life honey!”
She thinks folks in Yuma are not fooled by bush but then she adds that she's nobody's fool. Yeah!
Off we go to the espresso shop - yes, Yuma, arizona were it is 88 degrees at 6:00 in the morning, has an espresso shop - and it's not a christian place but it does have a young womon, 23 years old, behind the counter who doesn't think she is going to vote. In fact, she asks me, what election, when election, who election. I tell young wimmin like her about her foremothers and how wimmin, as well as men of color, earned the right to vote in this country. She nods solemnly and then leaves to help another customer. I'm pleased to see her returning to continue to talk.
When she says she doesn't have an opinion about politics I ask her if she has an opinion about her friends going off to fight a war. She does and she doesn't think it is right. I ask her if she has an opinion about her friends having jobs. She states the economy is pretty good in Yuma, it is a booming town. I ask her if she cares about the other 8 million u.s. workers that do not have a job - she is. I don’t need to say that she has opinions about politics but ask her if she'd like to register to vote. She tells me she's already registered. I'm skeptical until she says some guy came into the coffee shop and badgered her just like - she motions to me. I grin and give her codePINK info which she says she'll distribute during her break!
On to La Jolla  and my first delivery - by the time we reach L.A., our poll is 25 yeahs to 6 f.u.s to 2 thumbs down - and that's southern California!
But heading up I5 to the Bay Area, we only get yeahs!!!! At least 22 before dark falls again!  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home