Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

heading back to sunny, beautiful california

so i'm on the road again - i've finally left nyc and the east coast early this a.m. i headed down the nj turnpike to the pennsylvania turnpike, and across the state of pennsylvania - the usually quiet state. today, i got 19 yeahs to 2 fuck you's, and one pasty white arm sliding out a van's window with her thumb down!

the yeah's were horns honking, exuburant waves, enthusiastic nodding of heads, and many thumbs up! several tractor trailer drivers blew big horns as they waved. every stop i made, people came up to me and told me how much they loved seeing my truck.

at one stop, a middle-aged white straight couple parked next to me. the male approached me, asking me where i was going w/that truck. i told him back to california. he told me i was so brave to drive thru our country in this truck. i said, "well, ever since i remember thinking i was taught we live in a democracy where people are free to say what they think & feel." he agreed we're supposed to live in a democracy and he commented on the fierceness of my message.

i like that, the idea my message is fierce. another even older white straight couple were reading the back of my truck. i approached them - they were from oklahoma & they also loved my truck. i spoke with the womon, who expressed her anger at the elected officials in oklahoma - the congressmen, the senate - all taken over, she said, by awful people. they felt helpless. i spoke about what it will take - enuff of us getting out & getting active. she agreed & said women didn't want this war to happen - women don't want wars.

both couples said they felt re-energized!

another time and another white straight couple - this one, the man was so upset, he said he couldn't talk about the election without getting furious. we talked anyway - they turned out to be christians - the kind that are praying for bush to receive better direction. he said a pray for me & my journey, which i accepted along with his $50 contribution to my travels. at this point, i believe anything might work & we need everything in order to work.

off to st louis - i haven't taken 70 in a long while so it'll be interesting! peace, suzanne

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home