Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

omaha & the street people

i almost made it back & forth across the country without being stopped by the men in blue! but as i drew close to the end of iowa, there he was, trailing behind me for a few miles, before he turns on the lights & pulls me over.

he wants to know who i am - i hand over my driver's license, insurance card, and registration. i ask him if he's ever heard of codepink. he shoulda said yes because it was certainly my opening to talk about bush, his color-coded scare tactics, and the brilliant wimmin of codepink who said "hell no, we're in CodePink for peace!" i tell him we are a grassroots peace organization that is going to stop this war, bring our children home from iraq, and bring peace to our world.

who can argue w/that! he remains friendly and neutral thru my whole spiel - i can't tell one way or the other how he feels - because he doesn't react, i believe he's at least questioning this government & this war. he returns to his cruiser, runs my info i'm sure, and then returns my documents to me, assuring me i didn't do anything wrong.... hmmmmm....

i'm at the library in omaha - found it quite easily this time. again, in the park across the street from the library, there are many people gathered - they appear to be homeless. several raise their arms, many smile broad toothless smiles, & i hear a general shout in agreement. an older white straight couple walk by, hand-in-hand. they inch over closer to the truck to read the other side. i talk w/them. they ask if this is my truck -= "mine & the banks!" is my standard reply.

we talk about this horrid war, they both talk about viet nam and find the simliarities. they end up telling me bush should spend a nite sleeping on the street & maybe then he'd get it - they both look at each other & laugh.

the library has a sign-up sheet for computers & a long waiting list - i get on one on the third floor, then have to return to the first floor for another. i'm trying to catch up on my blog....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home