Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Sunday, July 25, 2004

Only the husband was left now undecided....


I had two other dynamite conversations at the march today. The first was with a young, strate, white couple who were standing on the sidelines obviously not dressed to march but to site-see or shop! As I attempted to hand a deception dollar to them, the guy said “No, I’m supporting bush. And then he almost brags, thumbing toward the womon next to him: “She’s not voting, she’s undecided.”
“Well, I don’t want to talk to you then” I quip, “but I definitely want to speak with you’. I turn back to the man to let him know “You can listen if you want.”
I immediately go into my rant about the largest group of non-voting people: young single womyn – to which he flashes a fourth finger at me sporting a gold band. “Okay,” I amend it to say ‘It is womyn who will make a difference in this election – womyn who cannot support war and violence and hate and killing.”
She smiles shyly and tells me that’s why she’s not sure of bush. I tell her, as I’m pressed for time, “I AM sure of bush – I’m definitely sure – not only is he perpetuating violence around the world, in Iraq , and here so he and his accomplices can get so very very rich, he has greatly hurt our country in many ways.” I tick off education, jobs, the economy, the environment, social security and medicare. She nods in agreement, as does her husband, but he adds “Kerry is no different.”
Although part of me wants to agree and I do nod my understanding, I strongly disagree about their domestic positions so I continue with “We all know Kerry has consistently voted for the people: for education, for schools, for children, for gun control, for veterans, thru out his career as senator. We know, although he is not saying he’ll end this war immediately, he will not lie to get our support to go to war so his accomplices can get even richer.”
This non-voting wife sighs and says in that typical defeated way,  “Oh they all lie, how can we ever determine the truth? That’s why I can’t vote – they’re all lying to us.”
Her husband agrees, vigorously nodding his head. I agree with her, I even tell her she’s right, we have been told a bunch of huge lies – but then I look her directly into the eyes, grab her undivided attention, and tell her: “But I am not a stupid womon, I am smart. You are not a stupid womon, you are smart. We are capable of listening the news (even fox, cnn, abc), reading the papers, searching the internet, and discerning the truth. We know when someone says ‘clean air act’ and then raises acceptable emission standards for mercury into our waters and air – which disproportionately harm womyn and children by the way – we KNOW the truth.”
I continue engaging her eyes as I say, “Those in power want us to think we are not capable of discerning the truth – don’t fall under their spell (thank you starhawk!) and allow them to undermine your faith in yourself and your ability to see the truth. you can tell the lie and the truth. we need you to think, to vote!”
With that, we all shook hands and hopefully only her husband was left now undecided!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home