Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

More Moms Stand UP

Once again, an awesome vigil in front of the recruiting station. This time, no recruiters ventured out to talk with us and once again, tons of support - drivers honking wildly, waving & stopping to chat. The highlite of the evening was when a womon, Kathy, driving by threw on her brakes, jumped out her car & ran over to hug each of us. Weeping, she told us how desperate - and unsuccessful - she was to prevent her 19 year old son from joining the military 3 years ago, how the military lied to him, brainwashed him, and now he was coming home today from Iraq - a homecoming she was estatic about & feared. Kathy wanted information about how to get him out - he is now ready to leave & has asked her to help.
As we were talking, another young man exited the recruiting station - one we had been trying to give alternative information to. He had signed up two months ago and was waiting to be deployed. Our amazon Mother approached him, asking his age, and sharing the story of her son. She also begged him not to go. But he seems as determined as her own child was.
Kathy has vowed to join us every wednesday - or to start her own vigil in vacaville, where she lives.

1 Comments:

  • At 12/12/06 2:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Very small point of contention. "calous greed driven fundementalist white males" the white male part of that description should be ommitted because it has nothing to do with why they are calous greed driven fundementalists. I've been a poor liberal white male my whole life and am getting tired of "White Male" being the tag to describe people who control the capitol (marxist sence) of our country. Yes, they are close to all white males, but they represent such a small percentage of white males that it's not fair to use "white males" as a term to describe them. Anyway, like I said this is a very small point of contention and I'm holding you to a very high standard of conciousness because I think you deserve to be held to it. Thank you.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home