Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Saturday, March 04, 2006

West Virginia Angel Activist

I'm only in West Virginia for a minute - AND it's getting dark.

I notice a car has pulled along side of me. The passenger is taking pictures with a cell phone. Then the driver & passenger start waving & smiling at me. They fall back, I assume to take more pictures, and then they head in front of me.

They slow down, put on their blinker and take the next exit. On instinct, I follow and pull into the nearest turn-off. A young, white women jumps out of the car after she has zoomed by me into a parking space, and runs to my truck.

Wow, Angel says over and over. I'm SOOOOOOO happy to see you, she exclaims. She tells me about how hard her and 5 of her friends have been working to try to organize to end the war, there in the little corner of West Virginia.

She tells me how they can't find a place to meet: there's not a church who will allow them to meet in their building; nor a library in the town or a coffee shop. None of the businesses will give them meeting space.

The most radical shop in town, a local tie-dye t-shirt business run by a hippie white woman with 5 children, refuses to print anti-war t-shirts for them - she is afraid it will cost her business.

I tell her about CodePINK and she wants to vigil right there, on the corner of the freeway off-ramp and the local business strip. But it is dark and freezing - and she has a two year old daughter sleeping in the back of her car.

I promise to put her on the CodePINK list, give her all the flyers I can find, and promise to come back through & help her organize CodePINK if I can. We hug each other and part, happy we took the time to talk. peace, sam

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home