Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

an almost-born child murdered

I weep today in wretched grief and rage as I read the news: two women and an almost-born child are murdered today on their way to the maternity hospital by U.S. soldiers.

I read this news as the voices of those pro-war people we met yesterday in front of the White House loop through my head weaving intricately into this news: we’re giving them democracy dead; we’re giving them freedom murdered; we’re doing a good job in Iraq killing women & children; I support war 6 more soldiers dead; I support bush 6 more soldiers dead; I support the troops six more soldiers dead; we need to be there until the job is done 2 more women & an almost-born child murdered; if you don’t support the mission killing women & almost-born babies, you don’t support our troops six more soldiers dead”.

Six U.S. soldiers have also been killed. I'm furious. I'm desperate. I’m sick.

Two women and an almost-born baby. I'm enraged. I'm inconsolably bereaved. I'm incensed.

I am here in D.C., reaching tens of thousands of people - sometimes 30 to 50 folks at a time getting off buses or gathering with a tour guide; sometimes one or two individuals sightseeing. Sometimes elementary school children or entire junior high graduating classes. Sometimes tourists from the Benefit Funds Union or from Gadston, Missouri. Sometimes handfuls of visitors from Egypt, from Thailand, from Bolivia. Sometimes white men dressed in million dollar suits that could be lobbyists, could be legislative aids, could even be congress people - definitely the 'powerful'. Sometimes just regular D.C. folks surviving in this city where predominantly white affluence & racism lords so completely over predominantly black poverty & the ravages of racism. Sometimes soldiers in full uniform or in casual everyday clothes; sometimes top brass or enlisted grunts. Sometimes soldiers recently returned from Iraq; sometimes soldiers on their way to Iraq.

I desperately try to cling to the (real) power of the work we are doing – yet I feel so diminished, so self-indulged as I entertain the thoughts that we are making a difference, we are changing lives, we are helping to end this horrific war.

I am overwhelmed with the knowledge that there are not enough of us doing too little. I am engulfed in shame and rage toward us – the everyday American folks that cannot stop our days for a moment to end this war. We are trading good jobs, secure homes, ‘safe’ beautiful neighborhoods, degrees in geology or law, for death & destruction in Iraq.

Monday at the ‘parade’ glorifying not just soldiers but this war for ‘freedom & democracy’ in Iraq, an older white woman asked me how I prevent evil from coming into my life. I told her by coming to D.C., standing here, and trying to prevent my government from engaging in acts of evil in my name, in the name of my freedom & democracy.

She snorted like a horse in a stable & stalked off, throwing evil looks over her shoulder with some words meant for me but I couldn't hear.

I don’t believe in evil – but I do believe we as a nation have made a pact with the devil (although I don’t believe in the devil either); we’ve made a pact with everything that is against life & humanity, and goodness & compassion: it is fine for us to pursue our lives, our homes in the suburbs or condos in the cities, our privileged jobs in the 35k & up range, our great schools for our special children, now our summer programs & activities, it is acceptable & desireable for all of us to consume up to 60% of the world's resources – we are given all these things as long as we allow destruction, torture, murder, rape, despair of most of the world’s population & lands.

When will our only purpose in life be to stop our country & countrymen from capturing thru force so much of the worlds humans & resources?

4 Comments:

  • At 4/7/06 8:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Amazing that you condemn these soldiers when the thing is still being investigated. I must say I almost cheered when you talked about an unborn baby being killed. Tragic indeed. I am so glad that you share my belief that millions of unborn babies have been murdered through the horror of abortion around the world. All these babies were ripped apart in an act so savage as to be unimaginable. I am thrilled that someone with your views condemns abortion with me. Thank you so much.

     
  • At 4/7/06 9:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    We have the things you mentioned because we worked our butts off to get them. This, the greatest country in the world, has been so blessed by God. Also, you don't believe in evil? When children are lined up and shot dead what do you call that? You say you are a mother. What would you call it if you one day, God forbid, saw your child being beheaded on national t.v. Would that qualify as evil. Just amazing.

     
  • At 4/7/06 9:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Be very, very glad that I was not one of the men getting off a tour bus. I have young relatives serving in Iraq. I am also a teacher of middle school kids. Please, be very glad that you have been fortunate enough to have not said something to me or someone like me in Washington. Be very glad.

     
  • At 4/7/06 9:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Can you please tell me how trading good jobs, secure homes, ‘safe’ beautiful neighborhoods, degrees in geology or law, for death & destruction in Iraq. By what perverted logic do you think someone getting a degree in geology is trading it for death and destruction in Iraq. You mind works in wonderful and twisted ways.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home