Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Elevated Color Code

"Excuse me!” I’ve stopped at a Flying J Truck Stop in honor of Rae who LOVES Flying J – after all their bathrooms rate at least an 8 out of 10 – and because they have a Homeland Security Sign over their doors in Nevada, Utah & Wyoming that declare a Yellow Alert is in progress & to speak with the cashier for details.

I am addressing the young white woman with stringy colorless hair & a face as devoid as her hair wearing a cashier’s uniform. “Excuse me” I repeat to make sure I really have her attention. “The color alert you have in front of the building?” I point toward the entrance where the sign is hanging “the color alert is wrong – it has been elevated.”

She searches in the direction of my point & says “it has?” “Yes, of course, it’s been elevated to Pink. It is no longer Yellow.” I insist.

“Well, where is it?” she queries.

“Over the door there – it says yellow but we are in Pink for Peace.”

“Hmmmm” she says still devoid of commitment to any emotion.

“Well do you think you can fix it?” I ask “folks are going to get confused.”

“I’ll have to speak to the manager about it” she says in a monotone that only slightly
livens when I ask if I can speak to her. No, he is in the back room & they are not allowed to bother him in there.

Off I go to the next Flying J about 40 miles down the road.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home