Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Thursday, July 12, 2007

New York State Police and CodePINK!

Word is out re:CodePINK to the New York State Police!

So once again the New York state police pull me over.

Earlier this afternoon, the 30 something year old white male who first pulls me over, demands as he approaches my truck “who are you working for?”

I look at him in puzzlement. Does he want me to say some terrorist organization or maybe the communist party?

I ask for clarification with a "What do you mean? I'm working to end war". He says “who is paying you to drive this truck?” Hmmmm – I wish!

I tell him no one. I am an activist. I drive my truck around the country attempting to inspire everyday people like him to get involved to end war.

He starts shuffling from foot to foot as I smile brightly and ask if he’s heard of CodePINK. He unbelievably says no so I begin to give the spiel. His eyes glaze as he averts them to stare pointedly at my tires. I review the tread ware in my head – it is okay, not ticketable I hope, but not great.

I cut the CodePINK spiel & tell him I’m late for a demonstration in an attempt to redirect his attention and to help me get back on the road.

He asks me where is the demonstration? I say Glen Falls, which he corrects me with a nod, “Glens Falls”. I tell him it is up to all of us to end war and ask if he’d like to come to the demonstration, after all it is HIS congresswoman who voted to continue war.

He hurriedly gives me back my license & registration without even running it! Off I went.

Tonite it is cool, rainy, dark & I’m on my way to Cleveland Ohio, where I hope to have a protest at Senator Brown’s office. The patrol car has been following me for awhile when he pulls out and races past as if going somewhere. A few feet past the truck he suddenly brakes, then rides along side me for a minute before putting on his lights & pulling me over.

I ask him why he stopped me. He is another 30 something while male. He grunts and asks me for my license and registration. I repeat, I’d like to know why he has stopped me because I know I wasn’t speeding, my lights are on, my seat belt attached. I add, if I do show you my id’s, which I’m happy to do when I know he’s stopped me for a legitimate reason and not because he is disturbed by my exercising my free speech, it will be without my consent.

As I continue talking, he starts shifting from foot to foot. He seems nervous. It has just thunder stormed a brief but huge deluge of warm drops – another reason I know I wasn’t speeding because I’d slowed for the storm.

I ask him if he’s heard of CodePINK, and begin my cp spiel. He is silent, staring at me, and seems unable to go forward. My phone rings & I answer with stating I’m being detained by the New York State police on I90 about 75 mile west of Albany and to hold the line while I find out why.

He kicks into gear, tells my like a (big) brother, “drive safely ma’am, the pavement’s wet and visibility is limited” as he returns to his patrol car.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home