Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Friday, November 23, 2007

busyest shopping dayz

I’m on womyn’s land in Oregon – only it used to be womyn’s land – now it’s not for this winter, it will be again in the spring.

But I am here, resting, regrouping, trying to figure out what is next.

On my way here, I walked on the ocean beach, felt the salty water; flattened my body and stretched my arms across a redwood tree in the middle of a stand; hiked down the rocks and pebbles to touch the frigid waters of the mighty Klamath.

I watched the sun set over the Pacific Ocean, the full moon rise over the coastal mountains. I witnessed wisps of fog in the early morning lingering in the valleys like the essence of a newly departed lover.

I avoided hitting one deer and nudged another. I froze while a skunk, tail flat on the ground, moseyed on past me. I pulled over to watch vultures circling so close I could see the dark red of their heads!

Now I’m on the side of a hill 1900 feet up, 7 acres of pines and oaks, several small wooden structures, 3 garden areas and several delicious (as in scrumptious) apple trees that have long since lost their leaves but the apples hang on.

It is the day after tanksgiving, the busiest shopping day of the year. I hope NO ONE is shopping. I hope people are reflecting.

For we all need to change our life styles. Most of us in this country, need to stop immediately, and decide consciously to live differently. This is but a beginning:

1) get rid of our cars – unless your car is electric, bio-diesel, hydrogen-fuel celled, or gets 40-50 miles per gallon – GET RID OF IT! Even if it does do all these things, vow to drive it only once a week. Take the bus, walk, ride a bike, get on the train – or car pool lastly, if nothing else will work for you.

2) STOP BUYING NEW – do NOT buy one thing new. If you really need something, go yardsaling, go to a thrift or second-hand store, go to an auction – but do NOT buy new. Especially petroleum-based products, as anything plastic, vinyl, and the like.

3) Food: buy ONLY organic. Period. Do NOT buy food that is not raised organically. Prioritize food raised organically and locally; but do NOT buy food raised non-organically just because it is local. We MUST support all organic farmers, whether they are here or in China – watch out for fake organics, like Dole, etc.

4) Do NOT buy foods that are wrapped in plastic or in plastic containers that are not biodegradable. Bring your own containers, bags, boxes wherever possible. It’s easy.

5) Take time to cook – NO PROCESSED foods, even ‘organic’. Watch the label, ‘corn’ product is probably #2, fast replacing ‘cane sugar’, the ‘oil’ of the last centuries – and you can be sure the corn is genetically-engineered if it is not organic. Eat as close to nature as possible – veggies, fruit, grains.

6) Minimize your garbage – compost, recycle, but mostly don’t buy anything packaged or that needs to be discarded!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home