Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Recognized in Hermosillo

So I spent the whole day on the hunt for veggie oil – when I wasn’t filtering or blogging or taking a very very short walk around the park. It was really hot today, and it still is warm – the kind of weather that makes you want to be at the beach or river – any water, not in the desert.

It doesn’t look good. Three are 2 major problems with veggie oil in Mexico: 1) is that most people use hydrogenated oil – which is the biggest problem; but 2) is that people are actually able to sell their used veggie oil for 3 pesos a liter – which is 12 pesos a gallon – which is about $1 per gallon.

In the states, people are paid 3 CENTS a gallon, maybe, for their old oil. The used filtered oil that I did actually pay for (remember I got lots free), cost me from $1 to $2 at the MOST per gallon – and that was premium clean oil that alls I had to do was undo the lid to the tank and pour it in!

I broke down and went to Costco to check out their veggie oil prices, not that I want to buy new but I was hoping knowing the whole picture would give me more bargaining power.

Weeeeelllll, the fucking oil is $320 pesos for 20 liters – not at Cosco but another big store, cheaper than Cosco which is about $5.50 a gallon. Five fifty a gallon.

Which reminds me of the other myth u.s.a. folks have swallowed to make our gluttonous lives more palatable. That we are genetically modifying corn so that we can feed the world.

Feed the world like hell. Over $5 a gallon and for corn oil that’s been genetically modified and preserved with who knows what. I couldn’t believe it. It’s the same price in California and you know how wages compare.

Anyway, this might put a cramp in my joiyssey – but maybe not. When I get somewhere more permanent, I can allow the oil to sit for a week or so. It’ll be easier to then get the right quality oil for the truck.

The great thing was that several restaurant folks not only recognized me – actually recognized the truck – and asked me about my joiyssey, but shook my hand and told me how pleased they were to hear about my joiyssey and meet me.

I worked on my cards today too – en espanol – so I’ll have them to hand out to folks.

Ms. Xan Joi

En Mi Joiyssey

Mi blog: www.codepinkjournals.blogspot.com

Mi email: joiyssey@gmail.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home