Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Thursday, November 11, 2010

The truth about Mexicans: like any american city but nicer...

Pedro is my new 'friend' at the coffee shop. Yesterday, he and the other barista took pictures of themselves in front of my truck - the beautiful mural side. He gave me detailed instructions how to reach the university - and went on google earth to show me how to get there.

Today, they both welcome me warmly. Pedro asks where he can direct me to today!

Hermosillo is a very large city, 850,000 people, I've read. A modern city. Today I will try to find more/some veggie oil. I will visit El Centro also. I've read there is a gay/lesbian bar "Secrets" there that I want to check out! Tonite I have my first espanol lesson with rebeka. yeah!

Everyone here is very welcoming and helpful. Yesterday morning, a womon stopped her little white truck across from where my truck parked for the nite, and said something over a loud speaker. When I got out of my truck and went to talk with her, she proudly shows me her mike. Her eyes sparkle when I tell her "hablo espanol un poquito y mal". She laughs freely and says "mi ingleis poquito & mal".

I notice she has several dozen white eggs on the seat next to her. I ask, as I point to the eggs, her "hueves"? You sell hueves? She nods, laughs again, gently says "huevos" and reaches for them. I tell her no huevos, only vegetals por mi!

We both laugh and off she goes, announcing her eggs loudly over her loud speaker as she drives down the street.

I read on the internet the road I took from the border to Hermosillo is dangerous for americans. UFB. It was a beautiful, calm, stark ride. Even the road blocks were painless.

Who starts these rumors? How many major roads in the U.S. have been scenes of crimes? Yet does the Chronicle say don't go on 101 south because someone was robbed there? hmmmm

1 Comments:

  • At 12/11/10 12:30 PM, Anonymous bridget said…

    Thank you, thank you sweet Xan for sharing your adventure. I just finished reading all your blogs and I am itching to join you. I can 'feel' the truck and the joy we had in it this summer :))
    Keep us updated and who knows who will join you somewhere, sometime. Hugs xoxoxo

     

Post a Comment

<< Home