Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Sunday, May 01, 2011

STRIKE May 2011: Day Day 1 - to be continued


May Day, 2011

The day is beautiful: warm, sunny, bright with expectation. 24th St plaza is filled with signs, drums, bodies. Everyone is flyered and urged to march to Sacramento.

CodePINK brings up the end of the march, carrying 3 huge hot pink banners: STRIKE, END $$$ FOR WAR, END TAX BREAKS FOR the RICH!

The rally has begun by the time we get to the stage. Cindy Sheehan has not yet showed up so I check in. I see many other speakers have not showed up either.

I have arranged to speak last, hoping to inspire the folks to stand up and march with us at least to the Ferry Building. By the time we get on stage, the crowd has dwindled to a couple hundred people maybe.

My expectations are rapidly lowering, as I ponder if we will have enough womyn to hold the banners on the march to the ferry building.

We do! We start of through the farmer’s market working our way to Market St. Looking behind, I see all our banners are being held up! We proceed down Market, shouting “STRIKE, STRIKE to END WAR”

Resting my voice for a second, I hear a guitar and drum start to play; then  a womon’s voice on a megaphone leading a chant: “Everywhere we go, people wanna know…” .

We pause in front of Diane Feinstein’s office, and I see the crowd has swelled. I try to count bodies but I get up to 50 and loose track & have to start again. I think the crowd grows to about 70.

We see a street fair and most of the march detours a block or two, intending to march thru the crowds. We only get to the gate – there’s a fee – but we stand there chanting anyway.

After doing much

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home