Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Friday, November 04, 2011

Arriving Johnson City, Tennessee

I feel so lucky to witness as much of the beautiful lush fall forests covering these mountains, so vibrant with colors they could be bouquets of perfect flowers. The yellows, caramels, ambers, reds, wine, browns, rust, blacks, greens of fall still permeate the land, altho there is a predominance of browns now.

When I arrive in downtown Johnson City, the road where the occupation is to take place is blocked off by police barricades leading me to ponder the number of folks that have occupies for this small town.

The downtown appears to be small, less trim, much more crowded building-wise than the Virginia towns I stopped in. As I drive around the couple of blocks that are all closed, I realize there is something else happening besides the occupation.

It is first Friday in Johnson City and it looks like every bar is open, spilling over with youth and loud 'music'. I find a park on a street that says closed but someone has moved aside the barriers and I quietly just follow other cars as we all find a place to park.

It is freezing, a wet, heavy cold and very dark now. I search for the street where the occupation is supposed to be, find it but cannot find the tents, just a huge parking lot that has "farmers market" signs in it in front of a long building that appears it might have been an ancient warehouse for a train station at some point.

I see a car parked with signs in the window. I have to wipe the cold condensation off the window the read "Occupy Johnson City" full page flyers that lack the exact location. Hmmmmm

I walk around a little more, peering into closed buildings and crossing old railroad tracks. Finally I remember the posting I read on line mentioned an empty lot behind a building so I start to my search to include the backs of buildings.

Joyfully in a few minutes I spot a few tents around the corner of a building. As I approach, I see a miniature Occupy D.C. with the canopies and personal tents set up around a huge, grassy lot - only this one has a nice little fire going and bodies snuggling around it.

I rescue my truck from the closed street, drive to the encampment, and park alongside the other vehicles there.

I have arrived!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home