Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Monday, October 05, 2015

Placencia and south

We are staying in an air bnb-type apartment in Placencia that is a narrow strip of land bordered by the Caribbean Sea and the other side, a lagoon. We are told by the Spaniards who own this house that dolphins, crocodiles, and turtles inhabit the lagoon.

We travel south to visit two Mayan ruins within a rain forest. As we get closer to the ruin, contemporary traditional Mayan housing becomes more abundant: the wooden planked walls with thatched roofs.

As we enter the ruin, we see rows of steps leading up to walls made from placing rectangular stones so securely on top of each other that here they are over 1000 years later.

The first ruin we visit is a smaller one but where huge stones, maybe 15 or 20 feet tall, 4 feet wide, 2 feet thick stand with ancient carvings from top to bottom, called a "stela" are on display. These carvings have been interpreted as various goddesses and gods.

It is a magical place with magical remains!
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home