Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Friday, May 13, 2016

Oh the fuckin tourists...

I'm walking through the dinner seating this evening after getting a plate of delicious food when a bloody white skinhead sitting at the table next to mine stops me and asks me in a thick accent which I think is either English or Australian - English it turns out - to explain my t-shirt.

He is one of those really white people whose eyes would normally blend into his forehead because his eyelash and eyebrow hair is so white it hides it plain sight like the lizards I photoed today at Las Guanas, except for his blazing red sunburn. Besides the fact that he never once blinked.

He wants to know the purpose of my t-shirt. I look at his girlfriend sitting across from him expecting her to express some sort of embarrassment or attempt to pull in the reins. She’s shooting daggers – at me – as he repeats, wanting me to explain "Black Womyn's Lives Matter".

I'm incredulous. I ask him U.S. news doesn't get to his part of England and he claims it does but he doesn't understand. So I begin to tell him: one Black person - woman, man, child - is murdered by police in the u.s. every 28 hours.

He responds by stating as if fact "oh, that many Black people are criminals". I tell him, yes, just like in England, it is criminal to be Black. He says slavery is over and besides, white people saved Blacks from starving to death in Africa by enslaving them.

I can't believe this guy is for real. I look again at his girlfriend and she's turned even more hateful. I tell him he's an ignorant asshole - not one of my finer moments or more brilliant retorts - but then, I continue, your people have had 500 years of practice being ignorant assholes.

And I stalk off to try to enjoy my dinner....grrrrr

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home