Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Saturday, June 25, 2016

I've found a treasure in Nebraska! to be continued



I need to find a campground where I can plug in, blog, and post (if there’s internet). Nebraska is not a scary as the south but the negative responses to my truck have been increasing, now far outnumbering the positive ones.

Surly motorcycle drivers and riders raise their black leather vested  and tattooed arms, extending middle fingers in unison, making me concerned the bike might tip over. Suited-up business-looking men lean over the console to make sure I see their disapproving scowls as they extend their middle finger. Truck drivers make loud airbrake noises as they crawl up to my front door.

It’s almost like the beginning of the war against Iraq – but no one has tried to run me off the road, or exposed their private parts.

So I’m going to be extra cautious choosing a campground. I might wait until I get to Wyoming but the camp grounds there most likely do not have either electricity nor wifi. My solar is not working up to par, worrying me something major is wrong, as the sun cannot be hotter or more intense.

I spot a state park exit sign and quickly check the list of amenities on the Nebraska map I picked up at the last rest stop. YES! This park has both swimming, camping, and electricity, is right off the freeway, and is on my beaten path home.

I off the highway and follow the signs less than 3 blocks (or should I say gmo corn fields) down the country road and there it is. As I turn in, I see the gate is open and no one is staffing the little entry booth. It is very flat, very green, and very tree-less, not affording any privacy between campers.

And it is loaded with huge rv’s and u.s.ofa. flags flapping lazily in the slight breeze. As I drive around, I spot only white people, gaping at me as they follow the progress of my truck. I discretely glance behind me and see that the old pickup truck that has turned in behind me is still there. I make sure I’m going 5 miles an hour and pretend I’m searching for an empty camping spot. I’m hoping this is the ranger watching to make sure I don’t take a reserved spot by mistake.

The road curves and I see a small beach in front of a body of water that could be a lake or river – I can’t tell from my vantage point – but several folks are swimming and playing on the beach. If Jasi was with me, I’m sure he’d insist on getting out. I’m glad he’s not here because I’m surely not getting a friendly vibe.

I decide to leave and continue down 80 until I find something else. As I leave the camping area and stop at the road, I try not to notice the old, beat up truck has continued to follow me. Shit. I can only tell it’s a u.s.of a. truck, maybe chevy, and I see a blur of white in the front seat.

Before I can cross onto the country highway, I hear several loud horn honks. Bracing myself to deal with white male mid-western rage, I’m so happy to see a womon jump out and wildly wave her arms, running toward my truck shouting at me to stop, she wants to talk with me!

YEAH!!!! I’ve found a treasure in Nebraska! Or a treasure has found me!

2 Comments:

  • At 26/6/16 4:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I know that womon! She is a treasure indeed! Travel safe! - Rose

     
  • At 28/6/16 6:28 AM, Blogger TongaLH said…

    Hello! My friend Jaimie posted photos of your truck on her FB page today and I exclaimed, "Hey! I saw her on my way back to Grand Island on Saturday!" I am dismayed to hear of your experience of negativity here in my state of Nebraska. A lot of us campaigned heavily for Bernie and have very open minds. I just wanted to comment to let you know we exist here, we appreciate you and keep on keepin' on!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home