Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Tuesday, January 23, 2018

McDonalds and white men

McDonald's has contributed to my cross-country journeys now that they have free wifi. They're a back-up if the library is closed or if I can't find a Starbucks or Whole Foods to write at. Plus they are usually right off the exit within feet of the roads I travel on and open close to 24 hours daily.

Although I love the exposure my truck gets to folks that wouldn't necessarily see it, I don't want anyone to think I would give McDonald's any of my money nor consume any of the the poison they are selling.

But the bathrooms tend to be clean (although not all the time), there tends to be empty booths where one can sit comfortably, and best of all, free wifi!

Today, I dash in to write, check messages, and use the bathroom. When I'm leaving, I see a skinny biker gearing up to approach my truck. He is white, male, and has that professional biker look, equipment, stretchy uniform, and lean body.

He immediately starts lecturing me about racism, informing me in his macho male confident voice that I know will not listen to me nor want any kind of dialogue. He informs me that Black people can be racist, so can Mexicans and Chinese.

I interrupt him with my question "how do you define racism then?" I have succeeded in stopping his tirade for a second and he actually turns his head so he's finally looking me in the eye. He stumbles a bit then continues "You need to take that false message off the back of your truck right now and stop spreading lies."

Really? I tell him he needs to listen to what I'm telling him instead of telling me what to do. But he doesn't bother. He jumps back on his bike, pedaling off as he throws over his shoulder "Take those lies off your truck!"

At least he sees I'm driving a truck.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home