Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Thursday, May 17, 2018

Thank the goddesses there are Black people here!

I'm so joyous this morning in "red" Illinois - I got so much positive, warm, enthusiastic hugs and words I feel I can continue my work forever!

I went to another sweet coffee house - it's kinda incredible how much building space there is here for a town of 26 thousand - and probably maybe half as many billboards, posters, paintings and notices advertising anti-womyn's health, jesus christ, and guns!

I chose a strategic parking space - also incredible the huge empty parking lots at this businesses - facing both the coffee shop and the busy road (not empty of cars). When I entered the shop, I was so pleased to see that there was a Black person behind the counter!

I ALWAYS feel more safe when there's Black or brown people wherever I go. And today I felt not just safe but super wanted.

A white man came into the cafe from the other directions, commenting on the 'van' out front. I didn't hear exactly what he said but Robert immediately sang praises and accolades honoring the messages and then pointed me out. I don't know why but I'm always a little taken back when people notice me and connect me with my truck without me introducing myself.

The white man nodded and turned to ask me if that is my 'van'. I say, "No but that's my truck!" He smiles and ambles over to my table. I tell him I'd love to talk with him for a minute but I do have a lot of work to do. He sits down as he explains he thought maybe the truck belonged to the band members who play here but then he read it more closely.

He immediately expresses his disdain for tRump and surprises me with the depth of his seeming liberalness. When I ask him how he's gotten to be so liberal in such a 'red' state, he claims he's still conservative: his son is in the military and he's scared to death of what might happen; he supports the police putting their lives on the line every day.

I don't have time to respond before he says "I've been thinking lately that I need to be more active and you've inspired me to stop waiting. I have to show my children and grandchildren how to do our civic duty and act to get rid of that knucklehead in the white house.

I wish I had more time to talk with him but I'm doing a reading at noon today and I need to work.

As I get ready to head over to my reading, Robert hurriedly approaches me, smiling so broadly, arms outstretched and tells me he just had to come and let me know how much he loved seeing my truck and having me in his coffee house. I tell him about my book reading and he tells me about the group he's meeting with at his diverse (as in gay and lesbian...) church. They're reading White Rage together!

I give him a book - he has to work - and we hug warmly. He goes back behind the counter but returns before I can pack up with a young white man worker and introduces us, telling me Jacob really wants to meet me.

Jacob has tears in his eyes as he tells me how upset he is about this town and the racist, bigoted people who inhabit it. And how validating it has been to read the messages on my truck and actually get to meet me, to meet someone who is awake and involved. He told me he was ready to 'give up', that's how tired he is.

I tell him he can never, ever give up as he nods affirmatively

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home