Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Tuesday, March 30, 2004

The 'next war'...


I stop in Lincoln because it is the Berkeley of Nebraska supposedly – and because I’m hoping to track down my sweet coming out lover! I don’t find her but I do find a copy mat I spotted while driving around, as I’ve run out of ‘pink slip bush’ flyers.
While I’m waiting at the counter, a younger white womon smiles at me and says she likes my truck but she’s worried that bush will get re-elected. I remind her that he wasn’t elected in the first place and she quickly agrees. She tells me they’re in the 4th year of a drought there and she thought the ‘next war’ was going to be over water and what did I think? I told her I just thought it was incredulous that we live in a society that pisses and shits in such a precious life-sustaining resource as water and I think it is such a statement about our social and cultural values and perceptions of life.
“Wow,” she exclaims “I’ve never thought of it that way – but what else can we do?”
It is my turn to exclaim “It is not what can we do, it is what are we willing to do.” As I see visions of corn cobs and lime dancing in her horrified eyes, I reassure her we do not have to revert to out-houses or pooping in the woods but tell her about self-composting toilets, waste-eating algae, and other technologically-advanced ways to rid ourselves of waste. she promises to look into it further!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home