Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Friday, August 13, 2004

The spectacular Medicine Bow National Forest: ching ching



I make it to my favorite part of Wyoming, Medicine Bow National Forest where I vow once again to come back here after the wars are over and spend some time getting to know these spectacular mountains. Now I’m content with just spending the night, smelling the forest, listening to the critters scurrying and foraging around the foliage close to the trail, and waiting for the moon to outshine the gleaming stars.
I’ll only rest a few hours before continuing my journey east. I have to focus on my goal of getting to NYC before the RNC begins!
When I get up in the wee hours of the morning, I notice a park ranger’s vehicle parked next to mine, although I don’t see a park ranger right away until I return from the bathroom.
A very young white male is standing, legs spread, hands on hips, reading every message I have written plus standing closer to examine my bumper stickers. I can’t tell if it’s a positive stand or an annoyed one.
He quickly sets me at ease by telling me how glad he is to see me. He informs me that bush is set to destroy every national forest in the country but asks me not to let on that he’s talking with me.
I think the very best thing about this nation is our national parks. I want this fellow to feel stronger about getting rid of bush, saving our parks, protecting Mother Earth than he does about his job.
So I say that to him. “It sounds like your job is number one to you.” When he nods I mourn, yet I nod. “I wish saving our national parks was number one for you.”
 His face falls and I can see the struggle, see the ching ching of the coins dropping, the excuses: the children, the wife, the vehicle, the holding dear to the amerikkkan nitemare no matter what it costs us – or his children or grandchildren.
I think he’s regretting taking the time to talk with me as I tell his back “Just think about it. It’s up to you and me this time Bob!”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home