Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Monday, September 27, 2004

....Stopping a 21st Century Hitler

Once again we find it as easy to spread HOPE as it is to spread FEAR!!!
We've made it Omaha, which is the very last stop in Nebraska!!! Altho we traveled thru most of Nebraska at nite, we did not received ONE fuck you!!! Only positives and a couple of thumbs down!!! We went directly to the Wild Oats this a.m. to stock up on supplies and met lots of wonderful wimmin who were so happy to see us. Out in the parking lot, an older Jewish man approached the truck as I was getting things ready to go. He commenced to inform me he was going to make a statement. I told him a few times, if he wishes to engage in a dialogue, I’m open to talking with him for a few minutes.
He began with instructing me to remember 9/11 and how bush was protecting us - I interrupted him and asked “How do you know I didn't lose someone in 9/11?” He apologized and continued to say he liked bush. When I asked him “Why?”Joel told me he was a WW2 vet and had fought in Germany and bush was stopping a 21st century hitler. I asked him to tell me who today was really acting exactly like hitler? Who was engaging in 'preemptive' war? Who was going outside the boundaries of their own country and trying to conquer and occupy other countries? Who was trying to run the world?
I asked him how as a Jew could he not know that the world sees let alone experiences pres bush and the u.s. agenda as the BIGGEST threat to world peace – as hitler was during Joel’s youth.
Joel switched gears a little and defended bush because of his 'support' (my quotation marks) of Israel. Fortunately, Rae has given me a flyer she found in NYC put out by www.jewishwomenwatching.com - I knew a few of the stats, like how really BAD bush foreign policy is for the Israeli and Palestinian people: since bush's inauguration, more Israeli’s and Palestinians have been killed than in the entire time from the first intifada in 1987 until the end of 2000. This is support for Israel?
Rae has joined us in the parking lot with another womon - we are all Jewish wimmin, as Joel is also jewish and now appears to want to know what we’re thinking. He appears open or at least willing to give pause, maybe. When Rae asks him who he is supporting in the election, he now says he is undecided! Yeah!
After Joel leaves, we talk a little about the big November second 'what if' question: should we leave the country? should we fight harder? should we give up?
I talk about Cornell West and his vision about change that has made such an impact on my life and work. He said something like: those of us who work for change must step back and look at the bigger picture and KNOW that change is going to happen - it always does happen - it just might not happen in our lifetime, but we have evidence upon evidence that change does happen. He said what is so very important is how we live our own lives, working for change, with the knowledge that we are doing our part in making change happen whether we live to see it or not!  
The womon Rae has been talking with hugs both of us and thanks us profusely - she said she had all but given up hope before we drove into town. she is now going to re-register to vote AND she is going to become an active voter reg person - she's a waiter and will ask everyone she serves if they're registered to vote - she'll have her clipboard and forms ready!!! yeah!!!
Off to Iowa and meeting Rae's aunt!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home