Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Sunday, September 26, 2004

What about the twin towers???


It was great visiting Laramie again and finding the organic coffee shops! We didn't stay long so didn't connect with Guillermo and the other peace activists again this time but the town’s feeling was friendlier than ever, with several folks waving or commenting on their liking the messages on the truck.
Off to Cheyenne and another parking lot where an older white man and his son excitedly  approach me. The father is wearing a coast guard hat, the son a baseball shirt. They both enthusiastically offer their handshakes and ask me if I was in Michigan a few months ago, where they first saw my truck.
As I'm speaking with them, an angry white womon zooms over to thunder back and forth around us, frantically screaming again and again: "What about the twin towers? What about the twin towers?"
“Yes, what about the twin towers?” I query aiming for innocent openness. “Let’s talk about them,” I try to add but she shrilly increases the volume: “You’re a disgrace to amerikkka.  You can't even be called an amerikkkan!”
“Do you mean the planes that did not have one man from Iraq or Afghanistan on it” I try to interject but she howls over her shoulder “You need to leave the country,” as she deprives me of her presence and disappears inside the fleamarket building.
“Wait,” I call futilely after her, “Let’s talk!” The older man I'm with, shakes his head and simply says “People like her just want to yell, not talk.”
I go to meet Rae and have a great conversation with a 30 something white straight couple from Boulder Colorado. They're short on hope, except excited about the 15,000 new voters registered this month in their little town! The wife says her biggest fear is the corporate controlled media and how dismal they are painting Kerry. We talk about alternative media sources and codePINK!
Rae has also talked with several wimmin about voting and kicking bush out - we are both pleased with the interactions we've been able to have in wyoming!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home