Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Monday, May 08, 2006

For those of you who think protests don't make a diff

I stopped at a gas station in the middle of nowhere Iowa – in fact, I passed the exit & had to travel 8 miles down the freeway before I could turn around & head back so I could purchase diesel at Citgo, the first one I’ve seen on the freeway.

When I went inside, the very young white woman cashier read my shirt, “Women say ENOUGH!”. I asked her if people in her ‘town’ were saying BASTA! yet about the war.

"Heck yeah," she says – they like that 'heck yeah' here in the middle of the country I guess.

She asks me if I had been in Grinnell 'a ways back'. She's referring to a ways back when they had an anti-war demonstration. Grinnell is the next town over, maybe 20 miles away. She tells me her & her fiancée were driving thru there 'a ways back' & they saw someone hold a poster which said that we were spending over $230 million dollars EVERY DAY on this war.

“For what?,” she says, her voice & face reflecting my own despair & pain, “For what?”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home