Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Monday, January 15, 2007

We make terrible Iraqis!

I pull off the highway, drawn by the billboard announcing cheap diesel, and tried to pull into a traveling j travel plaza along with half the folks traveling today.

There is a long line, reminiscent of the gas wars in the 70’s – has it been that long since I’ve waited in line for more than 4 minutes for gas?

Beefy white men in RV’s, SUV’s, and those huge $60,000 dollar trucks are jostling for a better position. Tempers are flaring and men are shouting as they accuse each other of cheating to get gas quicker.

I am next to a group of 4 or 5 that are pissed at one of them who has come in the wrong way and jumped the line. I tell them they’d make terrible Iraqis. That shuts them up and gives them a common focus – me!

I tell them people in Iraq often wait for days in line to get a few gallons of gas.

“Why is that?” one of the older men ask.

“Yeah,” I say, “Why the hell is that? Iraq has the 2nd largest oil reserves in the world and people have no fuel, maybe an hour or 2 of electricity every day, and they take their lives in their hands just to be at a gas station.”

The men appear a little ashamed and head off to their vehicles without saying another word.

hmmmmm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home