Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

How quickly the human beings you swear to protect become the very human beings you now want to kill ... to be continued

I turned 60 years old today & I almost got arrested for my 60th birthday!!! Weelll, let's say I was threatened with arrest on my 60th birthday.

And by none other then one of our soldiers!

I was walking around the San Francisco airport exercising while waiting to hear if my daughter & her baby were going to get on their plane, as they were flying standby. I happened upon a bunch of soldiers standing in line, waiting to get their tickets. I moaned internally, for all the reasons we have to bewail and dread U.S. soldiers: young people trained to become killers; lives of especially Iraqi, Pakistani, Afghans terribly threatened; young people becoming cannon fodder for our corporations.

And I did not want to have to engage in such a dialogue on my birthday with my daughter & grandchild leaving.

One of the soldiers had a huge gold christian cross dangling from several gold chairs around his neck. I passed by without speaking but didn't get far. That cross called me back as strongly as the moon tugging at the tide.

I smiled at him and stated "You all are off to Afghanistan". Several of the soldiers turned, looked at me, and smiled back "Yes ma'am!"

I asked the soldier with the cross if he was indeed a Christian. He told me proudly, yes he was.



soldiers at the airport

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home