Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Monday, November 29, 2010

Fishermen and Veggie Oil

Fishermen and Veggie Oil
I greet the sun this morning, rising over the mouth of the river, which is where I have parked. I go for a short run on the beach along the ocean, to the mouth of the river, and onto the man-made mound of shells bordered by huge volcanic rocks that extends into the ocean several yards.

When I run back along the ocean past my truck, I notice fresh footprints in the sand leading up to my truck, so I return. As I get closer I see there is a large pickup truck parked a few feet to the side of my truck.

When I get there, I see two men standing by their truck, watching me. I do not have my glasses on so I can't tell if they are smiling or not - or really even looking directly at me.

I approach, saying Buenas Dias, and they politely return my greeting. And our conversation begins. One of the men, Aron, can speak a little tiny English, although we speak mostly Spanish. He has a sister, married to a gringo, in Chula Vista, so he has been to California!

We speak of my travels - solo - and their work, a fisherman and a vendador of pescado - a seller of fish. They are very curious about my truck. I show them what I (Shazam) has built. We talk about solar - and wind power, as the wind is constant here.

When they ask when am I going, I tell them about running my truck on veggie oil and wanting the oil to settle. They are very excited about veggie oil. Another man has joined us by now, and several others stand grouped several feet from the truck.

They ask me about the “Our troops are dying for your support” sign in my truck. We talk about war and ending war, violence and the united states. Even though I speak Spanish, Aron repeats what I say for the other men’s benefit. Maybe he is the only one who understands me!

I am probably the most interesting thing in town this morning!

When they finally say they have to go to work, and I am exhausted in my attempts to communicate, they all say I am welcome in their casas!

So last night I met Elsa and several of her 16 grandchildren; this morning I meet the men of the town!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home