Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Friday, November 26, 2010

Violence in Mexico

Let's be clear about violence in Mexico.

I have posted several times how I do not feel the level of violence in Mexico that womyn live with daily - and nightly - in the u.s.

I do not. I think this is a MUCH MUCH MUCH less violent country than the u.s. on so many different levels.

But I am not naive or a stranger to violence.

Violence against womyn exists here, as it does in the u.s. I just do not know the statistics, as I know in the u.s. - as 4 to 5 womyn a DAY are murdered by their hubbies, ex-hubbies, boyfriends, fiancees, and ex-es - in the u.s.

I do not know if womyn are killed to such a rate here by those who claim to love them. I know that men do not need to daily beat a womon to keep her oppressed or in fear of her life - it takes only one time, and a womon will never forget.

I know that womyn - girls really - are being terribly tortured and killed by some strangers around the El Paso/Ciudad Juarez.

I know that Mexican drug cartels are killing each other, maybe their customers, maybe a few innocent bystanders.

I do not know about political activists here. In Central America, America Sud maybe things are different.

I also know about privilege - along with the privilege of not being esposa nor novia to any man here, i have the huge privilege of being estadounidense and a turista.

I will begin to ask those men who claim there is no violence here about the violence against womyn. I'm thinking they are speaking of the random and social violence existing on all levels in the u.s. and that is fueled in our country by our quests for and acceptance of wars.

And I will ask the womyn who tell me they are sola, single, if they have experienced violence. So I can stop acting naive as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home