Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Monday, November 22, 2010

Lesbiana y braseros to be continued

Chuyita takes me to meet her familia. They live in the house behind hers, an adjoining property really. They share a yard behind Chuyita’s washing space and her sister’s front door. She introduces me to her sister, who tells me she has 5 children and 17 grandchildren. Okay!~

Two of her daughters, Chuyita’s nieces, Gabby and Veronica, are also there. I have already met Veronica who is 4 months pregnant, in Chuyita’s home. Chuyita informs me of everyone’s marital status whenever she introduces me to anyone and the number of children they have, and grandchildren if they do.

Everyone thus far has been, or is single moms. I tell them I was a single mom and my daughter is a single mom. We exchange knowing looks and smile tiredly.

Now Chuyita has something else to tell everyone: I am a lesbiana. I do not wear a bra.


We have a good time teasing each other about what that this all means. They seem open, a little confused – the first question is, how can I have a child if I’m a lesbian.


Rosita, Chuyita's sister, offers me a plate of food. It is the calabasa y papas dulce (pumpkin and sweet potatoes I think). And she must be offering me most of it.


I refuse such a huge dish, cut the portion in half. It is soooooooo sweet I can barely see the veggies for the brown sugar. But I eat it.


The first dish of many to come today. And the first of many questions why, what does this mean, and do you 'like' me???

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home