Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Guaymas and more...

The trip to Guaymas was beautiful and uneventful. It took awhile to leave Hermosillo because of the parade and streets blocked off. Vendors were out early this morning and so were paradees in full regalia and parade watchers carrying chairs, jugs, and food.

I’d like to celebrate revolucion but watching military boys and military-like boys march down the street is not my idea of celebrating.

The desert continues, with the road running almost totally straight in between the mountains which are not a range but appear like the goddesses plopped unformed cookie dough all around. As I get closer to the coast and Guaymas, the vegetation increases – the palo verde, mesquite, cacti – until the desert takes on a predominantly green color – not the unnatural green of that weird grass taking over in the U.S. deserts of New Mexico and Arizona, but the beautiful soft green that compliments the browns and yellows along the floor, and the dark browns and reds of the mountains.

I have always been fascinated with the crosses placed on the side of the road where someone’s loved one has died. This part of Mexico, there are much more than just simple crosses – there are little rooms built with artifacts inside, candles, flowers, and the names of those who died with the dates of their births and deaths.

One memorial I saw was a big white box, probably the size of a casket, although rectangular. It had 4 large crosses of varying heights on it, and one small cross in front of them.

Another red and black circle sign posted on a cross said “biker” in English.

It seems a lot of people have died on such a straight road with two lanes going in each direction, separated by at least 1/10th mile between us, most of the time more. But there is no shoulder and perhaps people are willing to speed because the road is so straight.

Off to head south. I just found out a friend will be meeting me in Mazatlan in a couple of weeks so I’ll mosey on down the coast and see what’s happening! This could be the last time I’ll have internet access for awhile. We’ll see!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home