Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Friday, November 26, 2010

shoulda/coulda

My new friend Yadira, whose home happens to be literally one house from where I am parking in front of Caffenia to get their free wireless all night long, greets me this evening and tells me that my friend Pati is really Sandra, not Pati! So much for communicating!

Yadira lives with her mother, Victoria, and her Aunt, Alicia. Victoria and Alicia are one of 8 children of a Chinese man and an Indigenous womon. When I ask her mom Victoria, if it was difficult for her growing up mixed race in Los Mochis, they tell me no because there are lots of mixed Chinese in Los Mochis.

I feel even more lucky. Yadira identifies as a feminist and tells me her mom is a hippie! Her mom traveled around Mexico when she was in her 20's on a motorcycle. I have not found out if her mom drove the motorcycle or not.

Every time I see them, Victoria or Yadira or Alicia are giving me presents. Mostly food because they know I am a vegetarian, but also trinkets. Both Victoria and Yadira are learning English so they like to practice with me.

Yadira has friends who write for the news paper. They come over this evening to interview me - in english, thank the goddesses.

I am comfortable speaking to the u.s. press about ending war; I am not so comfortable speaking with the Mexican press about my values and beliefs, and how we are to work for a better world.

Every time I'm interviewed or have a microphone dangling in my face, I think later of all the wonderful things I should/could have said.

Tonite is one of those times. I know those of you who know me will not believe this, but when I was asked for my opinion what people can do, I did not wax eternal but held back.

Perhaps because I am not convinced that people really want to do anything. As I say in the states, when people ask "what can I do" they are really only asking half the question.

The other half, left unstated, is what can I do "without changing my life, without it costing me anything or too much, without 'sacrifice' or hard work or failing".

Or perhaps I know that real COMMITMENT to change comes when people have figured it out for themselves and know it in every cell of their bodies. But our planet and the life on our planet may not have that much time left. Certainly the people of Iraq, Afghanistan, etc., do not have time left.

The urgency for immediate change is so imperative. But maybe it's like racism or sexism: do I care if that racist, sexist person believes deep down I am sacred, or that he behaves towards me as if he believes I'm sacred. Change the behavior and the beliefs catch up.

So to make up I am going to develop a list for these people who really do want to change but need someone to tell them what to do - whether they do it or not, sometimes telling people what to do enables them to think for themselves and figure out what they want to do. I know it works for me at times.

My next post will be 10 things to do presently in our world to be the BEST human being during your time on earth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home