Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Sunday, December 05, 2010

Never ask a fisherman about feed for chickens…

...at least not if you’ve a shovel close by.

I am getting ready to pull out of the beautiful Las Glorias village and beach. I have 4 containers that I have written “libre” on and lined up in a little away from my truck close to the beaten path of the fishermen.

No one has taken a container overnite. One is a bucket full of thick supposedly vegetable oil and lots of dregs from the other containers. Two are totally empty and one has about a gallon of veggie oil too dirty for me.

I walk over to the guys who are hanging out staring at the ocean and ask if they know of anyone who might want the used oil for their chickens or animal feed.

They stare at me and I try again. Everyone shakes their head “no”. I point to the containers and say that I have veggie oil I cannot use and the 4 containers I cannot use either. They still shake their head “no”.

Okay. I return to the truck, thinking I better load them up and go to the houses where I’ve seen lots of chickens. Just as I get to the truck, two of the fisherman join me, pointing to my “pala”, shovel. I nod my head thinking they need it for some reason.

And they do. They dig a hole in the sand faster than a rabbit burrows into the earth and before I knew it, they had dumped the bucket of veggie oil and the container into the hole and were covering it.

I was aghast. But they wanted those containers and not the oil. That’s what I get for asking fishermen about feed for chickens and horses.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home