Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Saturday, December 25, 2010

Parking overnite in Zacatecas

I retrace my steps down the mountain. I do not want to risk taking another way because I know where I am going when I go ‘backwards’. When I get to part of the mountain where the buildings begin, I find my way back down through the city streets.

I get to the spot where the guys are drinking and their number has increased several fold.

My old ‘friend’ recognizes me and looks amazed. He incredulously inquires if I made it all the way. He, even more drunk now, proudly wants to shake my hand, and then tries to pull me into an embrace. I laugh at him and push him down, he has to let go of my hand. The other guys hoot and howl as I leave them to their camaraderie, fire and their drinking.

I find my way back under the building over the road and to the church near to where my truck is parked. The Starbucks is open now. I am thrilled to see them, not because it is starbucks but because I know that wherever they are, independent competitors will thrive close by.

And I will matronize them.

And sure enough, there are two other coffee shops, with cyber, in a radius of three blocks –but the others are closed until tomorrow. This starbucks is inside a hotel, of course, so they are open. 

The stores selling alcohol and candy seem to be open, as well as gift stores and many restaurants. 

The streets have filled with people – Zacatecas is quite an international city – or a city that attracts people from all over. I hear French spoken and see Asian tourists as well as many Mexican tourists.

There are lots of street vendors, even tho the streets are narrow, and there’s several rows of empty bleachers set up on the town square facing an ice skating rink that patiently awaits skaters. There is also a large movie or tv screen and huge speakers at the end of the plaza so obviously other happenings are going to occur.

I write and blog until it’s time for me to find a place to park for the night. I’d really like to stay parked here, downtown, but I’ve asked and I don’t think it’s an acceptable thing to do. When I arrived this morning there were hardly any cars.

So I decide to head back to check out the huge park I saw coming into town but when I get to the park, I see there is no overnight parking near it that isn’t really obvious. There is only a parking lot that is rapidly emptying and I’m sure it will be totally emptied as soon as it is completely dark.

I drive around a little and find a side street where there are houses on one side and empty land on the other side. I park next to the empty side and across from the houses. There are cars parked on this side of the street – and there’s a picnic table and huge barbeque pit amongst the trees and bushes. And little sign of humans using this picnic area.

I’m happy here. I keep hearing loud booms that I hope are not gun shots but fireworks for xmas. I’ve been hearing them since last night so I’m sure it’s some kind of xmas thang. Cross fingers! I have yet to have any trouble parking – not counting the guy who pissed on my tire and the cop who was checking the truck out… not bad for 6 weeks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home