Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Fishing with the sunset

I buy a dozen raw oysters on the shell ($40 pesos) and coconut ($20 pesos - I buy the biggest one!), both with tons of chili and lime, on the beach tonite, totally blowing my budget. Acapulco is so expensive but it is very hard to resist the scrumptious food that is walked by right under my toes!

My favorite part of the early evening - after the sunset of course - is watching the fishermen stand on the shore, as still and alert as the birds, watching for fish.

They are holding a net that appears to be at least 10 or 15 feet in diameter, over their shoulder gathered in folds. Sometimes they wade into the water up to their shorts; sometimes deeper.

Sometimes they give a shout, or they just rush and toss the net high in the air. It furls open and lands flat on the waves, sinking immediately.

They begin pulling the net, with a long rope that is attached to it and secured in a hand and sometimes between their teeth, towards the shore, tugging it in with the waves.

Soon the net appears, once again, folded in on itself - and full of shiney, shimmering fish! If their throw was lucky!

They shake the fish out of the net, pile them inside their waiting bucket, and return to stare at the ocean once again.

I peer and peer to try to see what they see. I ask them to show me. I look and look. And then, suddenly I see, the fish, scores of them, squirming on the top of the water, barely distinguishable from the waves, but definitely a swift, swirling, flopping run!

And the nets go up and over, and the fishermen are happy!

Their are no clouds tonight, so the sunset is pretty but not stunning. I go to scam Starbucks internet and electricity, while I wait for my solar to be fixed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home