Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Tuesday, January 04, 2011

A late nite pickup!

I attempt to get online while I am parked in the lot by starbucks but all the places close enough are taken. I connect but cannot navigate so I’m resigned to go inside.

Starbucks is so crowded, I cannot find a table outside to sit at, where I will be less noticeable and not subject to airconditioning. Inside I grab the last small table available in the corner next to an electrical outlet. I get online and place my empty used starbucks paper cup in a prominent place on the table.

No one harasses me, I write and use the bathroom and occupy the space until it is time to return to see if another restaurant will give me oil after 10pm as promised.

I arrive at the restaurant, find a park very close, and the young man behind the counter remembers me. He yells across the hall to the kitchen, asking for the used oil. A young woman beckons me through a small, swinging pair of doors and there is a tall, black barrel that she opens.

There is about 10 liters of oil in the bottom, which I gratefully want. I return to the truck, grab a container and the cracked funnel, cut a piece of cloth to fit, and return to the restaurant.

As much as I try, I cannot pick up the barrel and pour the oil into the funnel. I am afraid I will make a mess and the bottom is slippery with gunk I don’t want to indentify.

I ask for help and the man who was washing down the steps comes willingly and helps me. I hold the funnel while he pours in the oil.

When we finish, there is oil on the floor but he tells me not to worry.

YEAH! More veggie oil!!! I’m so excited and feel like a new person!

I will go park for the night by walmart on the street Miguel has recommended! It is also close to both starbucks and a 24 hour Kiosko, which means 24 hour bathrooms!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home