Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Manzanillo - day 1


 I cannot resist throwing on my bathing suit and heading into the ocean when I finally land here in Manzanillo.

I am surprised as I drive through the mountains from Colima, to find the mountains don’t really end but continue almost to the ocean.

I go to centro Manzanillo, as is my habit, and see an old town, filled with tourists and regulars, narrow one way streets, tons of buses and little tiny shops. I REALLY want tamales by this time but don’t see anyone selling them.

Manzanillo centro is right on the harbor, with no beaches that I can see. There is a HUGE, long stack of shipping containers that rival the Oakland port in at least length if not height. This must be the center of shipping here.

It is blazingly hot, although the second I pull into a tiny bit of shade, it is so very pleasant. But I am getting sweaty and sticky and uncomfortable, even tho I have on shorts and a sleeveless shirt.

There is no place for me to park easily and I need to find the large restaurant district so I can secure my veggie oil. After Colima, I am feeling a little anxious. I’m even thinking about buying enough diesel to make it to Acapulco in which the veggie oil hunt might be easier.

I have no intention of going to Acapulco but I might be forced to if I can’t find veggie oil here. And the downtown does not look promising – for veggie oil. For exploration, yes!

I see signs for the hotel zone and head out there. Wonderful! I see beaches not a long block from the main road I am on, and hotels with restaurants.

I drive down and park on one such road, putting the hunt for veggie oil on the back burner, as I take a dive into the ocean.

There is hardly anyone on the beach let alone in the water, but a couple of boys several feet down from me. The waves are intense, almost knocking me over when they come onto shore, and then dragging me out when they leave.

It is not the calm water of the mar or even Mazatlan. But it is beautiful. I take a walk down the beach to look for restaurants that are affiliated with hotels and open onto the beach.

One of the loveliest things I discover after seeing about 8 guys washing themselves and their clothes, is that at almost every entrance to the beach from the little roads, there is an open outdoor shower before the beach!

Delighted, I quickly return to my truck, visions of veggie oil gone, get the soap and washcloth, and head for the nearest shower! To wash my hair – and my body – gazing out and hearing the ocean, in an open space that is so lovely!

I feel I can cope with anything.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home