Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Monday, February 14, 2011

From San Cristobal to Oventik - again!


This is it. I am trying to make plans A, B, C if the Zapatistas reject me again today. In one plan, I consider not even trying, just heading straight for Guatemala. It is a long way up the mountain, a lot of fuel (as I still haven’t found, and haven’t put much energy into finding, veggie oil), just to be rejected again.

My roommate has given notice. My passport is expiring in 3 weeks. My money is funny. There is no way I can travel AND pay rent on my apartment.

And now the Zapatistas may not be allowing me to land there for a week of Spanish school.

Trease has set the alarm for me, without my having to ask her. I awake up at 4am anyway, plans and re-plans circulating around my brain. Her alarm goes off at 5:30am.

Last night, Trease asked me if she can interview me! She’s a filmmaker and seems to appreciate my story. We sit in a room, in front of a piece of rainbow-appearing fabric that is really an indigenous flag for the background, as she asks me about my life and Joiyssey.

This early morning, she has offered graciously to accompany me to the truck and help me get to the other side of town, where Stuart is driving a 15 person van up the mountain to Oventik – and where he said to join him to follow him up the hill.

We pick our way through the early morning bustle of San Cristobal, almost heading down one way streets – the wrong way – and other times almost getting trapped in a narrow lane.

But finally, with Trease’s amazing navigating, we get the corner where Stuart was to be. And, yes, there is no Stuart. It is 6:45am and the street is deserted. No Stuart, no van, no backpacks of people waiting to be taken up the hill.

Trease takes pictures of my truck in the early morning light and I continue to talk about the building of my home. She films inside my messy home and I’m thankful I don’t wear underwear so there are no dirty underwear hanging about.

I talk some more, about the mural, the paintings, my search, my haircut! And Trease films, asking more questions as she studiously focuses her camera.

 I thank her so much and we give each other a big hug. Trease invites me back if I can’t get in this morning, and if I do get in, she invites me to return before I head to Guatemala.

I only have a little more than $400 pesos on me. I take the risk I won’t need $$$, put $350 into the tank and begin the trek back up the hill in the brilliant morning sun.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home