Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Monday, May 02, 2011

STRIKE May 2011: Day Day 2 - to be continued


A reporter has emailed me as asked my opinion on the killing of Osama Bin Laden. I ask “Who?” When I tell the group, someone says “does that mean the wars are over?”

Brad Newsome joins us for breakfast, bringing the last of the stuff from our “Home Base” that we’ll need, including the oatmeal. It is too late for us to cook as we are to be at the corner of Benicia and Solano by 9:30am

There are only about 7 of us, and even though everyone is up by 8am, we still do not manage to make it to our starting point until about 10:20 – twenty minutes later than what we had put out.

Even though many have said they will join the march to Glen Cove, no one is waiting for us, including no media of course, so we unfurl our “TAX the RICH” banner, and “END $$ FOR WAR, TAX BREAKS for the Rich, begin our march close to the overpass of 80.

We stop and banner over the freeway to lots of horn honks – both from the vehicles below, but mostly from those driving over the street between our banners.

We do not encounter any negative responses and soon two young men have joined us. One, Kalib, talks about being unable to find and keep a job. The other, Steve, says he’s former army, 4 years, and recently discharged.

Steve approaches us by accusing CodePINK of not supporting the troops. By the time we finished talking with him, he has grabbed a pole of the END WAR banner and is marching the 3.3 miles with us to Glen Cove!!!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home