Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Misogyny alive and kicking at Freedom Plaza

I have set up several tents, including my big one, together in a corner of the grassy area, for womyn - and no smoking area.

Several men are going ballistic, accusing me of segregating, "causing" divisions, promoting "special interests" and not unifying us.

I have attempted to speak with these older white men - and a couple of younger white men as well - and frankly, their level of misogyny is scary, especially among the so threatened younger ones.

At first, I thought they were attempting a sick joke but they are certainly for real. I had no idea I would be fighting for the right to have a womyn's space within the plaza.

The most disheartening thing is the devaluing and disrespect accorded the conversations we are having - as if the mere talking about sexism, racism, classism, etc., is not just 'divisive' but a total waste of time.

I want to quote Martin Luther King Jr - the one about making the time to have deep, meaningful, hard conversations. As always, he said it much more eloquently than that and I can't remember his exact words.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home