Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Sex equals rape T-shirt

A womon takes me aside to tell me her story. We are leaving one of the womyn's support groups the two young womyn on the plaza have called.

Rampant sexism, unwanted sexual attention, lack of respect and valuing of womyn's voices, and the shushing of CodePINK were all on the agenda. One of the ONLY African American womon involved spoke adamantly and long about racism, lack of even minimal Black representation on the plaza, the high level of prejudice against homeless people, who happen to be predominantly people of color.

We are meeting again in a couple of hours and Magdalene wants to know if I will support her in our next group.

Her young 28 year old daughter was recently murdered by a man who was infatuated with her. We weep together.

Magdalene expresses her anguish over a t-shirt I first felt discomfort with but then laughed at yesterday at the anti-drone action. It says something like "I no longer need sex! I am now getting fucked daily by Corporations"

I am horrified that I didn't go with my first discomfort seeing that shirt and slipped into finding it "amusing", as certainly was the author's intention.

But how can we laugh at being raped? Being fucked over? 

Magdalene wants to raise our consciousness: we cannot allow sex to be equated with rape. I think because I associated it with heterosexual sex where male dominance prevails, I didn't go the step further.

I promise I will stand with and behind her and I apologize for my lack of consciousness, grateful she has the courage to speak up and stand against this wrong.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home