Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Friday, October 19, 2012

Good-bye California!


We’ve made it to the new rest stop just east of Palm Springs and have been able to sleep for almost 4 hours.

Jess is not only severely immature, but she’s so ridiculously full of right-wing propaganda, she’s not going to know what she got herself into by the end of our trip.

She spouts Limbaugh rhetoric like it’s the truth. I 'm struggling not to think she is just really stupid as in she can’t think for herself, and trying instead to believe maybe she is just incredibly ignorant as in why should she think for herself.

So far she’s said such things as we have to “kill them before they kill us”; and “we are all individuals with the same chances and choices”; and “if they would just try & work hard, they could make it, anyone who really wants to can make it” (talking of poor people of course).

I tell her that her mind is full of propaganda & that I expect more from her, being so young, a lesbian, and so advantaged. (She has told me she has had great jobs & made a lot of money. Yet when I ask her if she's ever made 100 grand a year, she looks at me like I'm the crazy one. She's talking $8-9 dollar an hour jobs - and she believes she's wealthy...)

As we talk, I reassess my opinion of her. She is able to hold up her end of the conversation, she doesn’t get defensive, and she stays calm & explains her position as “that’s just the way it is” when I ask why or what does that really mean to you?

Off we go, before the sunrise – I need to make it across the desert and thru as much of Arizona as possible before noon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home