Code Pink Journals CodePINK Journals

Work 4 Peace,Hold All Life Sacred,Eliminate Violence! I am on my mobile version of the door-to-door, going town-to-town holding readings/gatherings/discussions of my book "But What Can I Do?" This is my often neglected blog mostly about my travels since 9/11 as I engage in dialogue and actions. It is steaming with my opinions, insights, analyses toward that end of holding all life sacred, dismantling the empire and eliminating violence while creating the society we want ALL to thrive in

Monday, December 05, 2022

Journey For Justice Dec 5th, Day 5: Eagle Pass, border patrol, golf course.

How much more amerikkkan can you get? A fuckin golf course backing up to the Rio Grande where the wealthy men can ride around on golf carts while the border patrol is jumping into rafts and dragging refugees, wet and freezing cold, out of the river to take them off to a detention prison.

I have a conversation with one of the golfers who tells me this is the land of opportunity. He feels for the refugees but thinks they should enter the country 'legally' and follow the correct steps to be allowed in. I ask him if that's how his parents entered. He colors a little and admits not at first but eventually they did get their citizenship, as did he.

He claims you only have to work hard, and then he gives me a litany of the hard work he did to make it in this country. Now he is retired and he will not let anyone, including those refugees being shot, hunted down, incarcerated, keep him from enjoying his retirement.

As a group of maybe 8 young dark-skinned men shivering in their wet clothes, hands cuffed behind them, shoe laces gone, possessions lying dumped in a pile on the edge of the 18th (or whatever) hole, are being marched into a van, he heads off to catch up with his golfing buddies, head turned away from the site of those less fortunate than his family.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home